We Teach Certified Scrum Master (CSM) Training
The Certified Scrum Master certificate is the most popular agile credential! It is issued by the Scrum Alliance and is globally recognized as confirmation of people who have put time and effort in studying Scrum. It is a two-day class.
In Hubert’s Certified Scrum Master (CSM) training class, he does more than just teach you about Scrum so you will pass the test. (Although, you will pass the test! Hubert’s students show a 98% pass rate!) In addition to students seeking certification, attendees are professionals in the world of software development and services, and they are looking for guidance in using Scrum at work. This is what Hubert does: Scrum-by-the-book extended to a pragmatic framework that is usable in actual projects.
Certified Scrum Master Training Using The Scrum Guide
The Scrum Guide, by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber is at the core of my class. Jeff, Ken and I were together at the start of the Agile movement. I know first-hand that Jeff’s and Ken’s work must be the foundation for my Scrum training classes.
We strive to strike the balance between ‘purist’ and ‘pragmatic’ Scrum.” — Hubert
In my classes, we discuss all roles, ceremonies and artifacts and I use exercises to embed learning. Exercises include Poker Planning, Silent Grouping and several more get-out-of-your-seat experiences. You won’t fall asleep in my class! Topics around scaling, distributed teams, Backlog Management and estimating are on the agenda, because they are a part of real life for professional software developers. Implementing Scrum and how to handle the omnipresent “hybrid Scrum” implementation are also typical topics of discussion.
We are Agile and use it in our classes. Just look at the whiteboard below. The yellow sticky notes are student questions. We move through each one, using a Kanban approach, to answer the questions as we go through the material, moving the question from left to right – until Done!
CERTIFIED SCRUM MASTER (CSM) TRAINING COURSE OUTLINE
- Learn the concepts of Core Scrum; prepare to pass the CSM test
- Focus on your challenges and questions
- Explore technically challenging projects using Scrum
- Discuss distributed teams and global organizations from a Scrum perspective
- Learn about requirements management, product backlogs, stories and epics
- Discuss roles not defined in Core Scrum: project and program manager, line management (dev lead, test lead), business analysts and the PMO organization
- Explore the steps to migrate a team or project from a waterfall approach to the Scrum framework
- Explore other subjects like people motivation, rewards and assessments
- Agile & Scrum at 10,000 feet: agile principles and the values on the Agile Manifesto
- Scrum Framework overview and Scrum Values discussion
- Roles in Scrum: Development Team, Product Owner, Scrum Master and the Scrum Team concept. Plus the mapping to the roles in your organization: developers, testers, the PMO, the development manager, the QA manager, architects, stakeholders, managers.
- Product Backlog: the concepts of “five levels of planning”; principles of just in time detail; refinement of the backlog, when and how; user stories, format and use
- Estimating the work on the backlog
- Prioritizing work on the backlog
- Release planning: ordering work for small, medium and large projects
- Sprints: sprint planning – who, what & how; engineering practices an the role of eXtreme Programming – programming, testing, documentation
- Daily meetings: the Scrum and the Scrum of Scrums
- Done and acceptance
- Progress – burn-down charts, quality, burn-up charts, task boards, the risk of reporting
- Abnormal Sprint terminations
- Feedback through reviews and retrospectives
KNOWLEDGE FOR YOU
Participants taking our course have a 98% pass rate on the Scrum Alliance CSM exam.
This is a two day class.
Prerequisites. None. (Reading the Scrum Guide prior to attending is helpful).
Geared To. Suitable for project manager, program managers, product managers, programmers, testers, analysts and anyone interested in learning Scrum.
Handouts. You will receive a workbook, a valuable set of support materials: background reading, published articles by Hubert, and spreadsheets of sample product and Sprint Backlogs, and a set of practice questions and answers to prepare for the CSM test through the Scrum Alliance.
- You can claim 14 PDUs with the PMI to support your PMP or ACP certification.
- You will be prepared to take the Scrum Alliance CSM test.
- You will know what Scrum is, how it works and have materials to support you to use it in your job.
- From the practical hands on exercises and small group discussions in class, you can plan your first sprint when you return to work.